Monday, February 23, 2015

Buffalo Gap Flea Market & Perini Ranch Steakhouse

Since moving to Texas a month ago, I've been amazed by the amount of flea markets, vintages stores and antique shows I've been able to find while doing research.  To say I'm excited, would be an understatement.  I heard about the once-a-month Buffalo Gap Flea Market from a co-worker of my husband, Michael.  So we decided to check it out and stop for lunch at Perini Ranch Steakhouse.  We had originally planned to visit the Buffalo Gap Historic Village, as well.  Unfortunately, once I'm at a flea market, all bets are off.  We ran out of time, but I promise to visit it soon. 
Buffalo Gap, Texas is a very small town located in Taylor County.  One of the first things I noticed was the little metal buffaloes hanging from the light poles.  Super cute!  The little shops above were closed, but the buildings themselves had so much character I had to take a picture.  I can't wait to go back and shop!  Now for the flea market.......it was bigger than I was expecting and I've heard will have even more vendors later in the spring and summer.  There's was definitely something for everyone........garage sale items, crafts, furniture, homemade food items, animals, custom metal work and so much more.  It's really hard to list it all.  Below are just of few of the many items at the market.
I absolutely loved the items in this booth.  It was hard to walk away. 

I really wanted the rooster weather vane.  I'm hoping it's still there next month.

Yes, that would be sneaker boots.  For the days you just can't decide which way you want to go.

Just a few of the birds you can find at the market.
Between the food vendors and food booths, there was quite a variety to choose from.  The food vendors sold everything from corn to Navajo Indian tacos and everything in between.  I took a pic of my favorite menus that were offered.  Everything is better deep fried, right?! 
Then there were the homemade food booths selling jams, salsas, relishes, candy, jerky, beef sticks, spices and so much more.  Below is what we ended up coming home with.  The jalapeno peanut brittle from Fresh From Pappy's Kitchen is too die for!  If you ever get a chance to get to the market, you must try it!
Next up, the Perini Ranch Steakhouse for lunch.  The ranch is beautiful.  I honestly could have stayed outside soaking in the sun and exploring.  If you haven't heard of the ranch before, it's an award winning eatery that specializes in mesquite-grilled beef cuts & Southern comfort food.  The restaurant itself is in a converted hay barn which gives this place so much character.  Because it's such a popular place, it is suggested to make reservations.  Of course, I forgot to do this because I turned 40 last month and can't remember anything.  The good news is.......the hostess made room for us anyway.  Southern hospitality at it's finest!
I can't wait to go back and just walk around the ranch.  So peaceful!

Love the metal roof!
I'm not going to lie, it was hard to decide what to order.  We went with the jalapeno bites appetizer to start.......AMAZING!  Perfect amount of heat and you can never go wrong with bacon and cream cheese.  For the entrees, Michael chose the Cajun Catfish with Green Chile Hominy (white hominy with bacon, green chiles, and cheddar cheese) and I picked the Hamburger Steak topped with provolone, grilled mushrooms, chiles and onions with a side of Cowboy Potatoes (skin-on red potatoes, seasoned, and roasted with butter and garlic).  It was all DELICIOUS!  I highly recommend visiting the ranch if you're ever in West Texas.
Last but not least, I can't forget Barbadilla.  Isn't she cute?!  She greets you as you enter the ranch.  I wanted to climb on her and get a picture, but again, I am 40 and would probably fall off and bust a hip.  Seriously, I'm clumsy with a capital C.
That's all for this little adventure to Buffalo Gap.  I'll definitely return for more flea market shopping, lunch at the ranch and, of course, the historic village.  My next journey will take me to Baird, Texas, which is the unofficial "Antique Capital of West Texas".  I can't wait!  Stay tuned........



No comments:

Post a Comment